By: Alicia Saragosa
Winter tuition has been paid, final grades have been posted and we have all celebrated last semester’s accomplishments. The finish of the Fall Semester marks the end of countless group projects, challenging clients and comprehensive campaigns. But are you ever really done? We all know very well that the best of PR pros never skip a beat. And you can become one too- the only thing standing in your way is the list of tasks below!
Here are the seven things you should make a priority this break:
1. Edit your résumé/portfolio. A résumé is an ongoing project that never ends; it should grow just as you do in your professional life. This goes for your portfolio as well- make sure it contains your best and most up-to-date work.
2. Research internship/post-grad opportunities. Get a jump start on applying for summer internships/post-grad jobs and start researching org’s that you would like to work for. You can usually get a feel for an organization by exploring their website, though you can take it one step further and schedule an informational interview as well.
3. Clean up your digital presence. This includes any social media platforms and websites; make sure that you are communicating a cohesive personal brand. Are the things that you are posting/sharing sending a message that adds value to your personal brand? If the answer is no, then you have some work to do.
4. Write. Good writing skills are the core of public relations. Keep your writing skills up to par by writing a little bit everyday. A good way to remember to do this is to carry a personal journal with you, especially when traveling, because you never really know when you’ll be inspired.
5. Set short-term goals. We all have a few things that we would like to accomplish by the end of next semester, so make them your short-term goals. Write them down, devise a plan and execute it. Whether it be to launch your online portfolio or to eat healthier, accomplishing these short term goals are a great way to motivate yourself to tackle any challenges.
6. Un-clutter your life. It’s hard to be productive when you are distracted with the little things. Run your errands, clean your apartment and organize your calendar. Do everything that you need to do to feel like you’ve got everything under control and in order.
7. Relax! You’ve earned this. Spend some quality time with friends and family. Recharge your batteries so you can start off next semester feeling refreshed and ready to tackle anything!
Happy Holidays and good luck. I look forward to seeing you all in January!
Alicia Saragosa is currently a senior at Grand Valley majoring in Advertising and Public Relations, emphasizing in PR and minoring in Writing. Alicia serves as the Vice President of Public Relations for Grand Valley’s Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) chapter, an account associate at GrandPR, and as the President of Il Geranio (GVSU’s Italian Club). When she isn’t in the kitchen whipping up one of her favorite recipes, she is spending time with her family or writing about the connection between the two.