This coming Friday, April 22nd 2016, is the 46th annual Earth Day. Earth Day creates an effort to encourage people to take action for a healthier Earth. However, still to this day, the fight for a clean environment continues.
PR pros preach about the benefits of going green, but the only the best of PR pros actually practice what they preach! Check out these easy ways to do just that:
Swap out your light bulbs – Fluorescent light bulbs use less energy, provide the same amount of light and last 10X longer.
- Plant a tree – Trees remove CO2 from the air and help fight global warming.
- Have a picnic – Stop by a farmer’s market and pick up some locally grown food.
- Turn off lights and unplug cell phone chargers - unplug anything that doesn’t need to be plugged in. Our chargers are still using electricity even after you unplug your devices.
- Try doing "conscious" laundry - Wash your clothes on the cool cycle and hang dry clothes instead of using the dryer—this not only saves money, but also perseves the quality of clothing.
- Drive the speed limit - Driving the speed limit increases your miles per gallon, in turn saving you dollars at the pump.
- Carry your own water bottle – This reduces the amount of plastic water bottles in the world that would otherwise end up in landfills.
- Recycle – Make colored bins labeled “RECYCLE” and place them next to trash cans; this reduces waste and leads to a clean conscience.
More information on joining the World’s Largest Environmental Movement can be found at www.earthday.org.
Shannon Kaus is a senior at GVSU majoring in Advertising and Public Relations. She looks forward to growing her PR leadership and project management skills through her involvement with PRSSA and GrandPR. After graduation, she will be working as a recruiter for Insight Global, in Grand Rapids. In her spare time, she enjoys running, baking, drinking coffee, and spending time with friends and family.